Sorority House Director
National sorority at Northern Illinois University seeks experienced live-in House Director. Our chapter houses 45-50 women per year on the campus of NIU in DeKalb, IL. This is an non-exempt and full-time position, reporting to the Corporation Board.
Your Role in Our Mission: The House Director's primary responsibility is to manage a gracious, well-organized, fiscally sound, safe and smoothly operating sorority house. The House Director must have the ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with students, parents, alumnae, service providers and community resources. Candidate must be able to set and maintain firm, healthy boundaries and facilitate adherence to all rules, regulations and policies of the campus, Sorority, House Corporation and chapter.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work within budget and keep a careful record of the household operations, including the petty cash and House Director’s checking account.
- Manage on-going vendor relationships and negotiate contracts.
- Manage kitchen budget and coordinate with chef in plan meal planning and supply ordering.
- Coordinate with property manager for repairs, inspections, and cleaning contractors.
- Supervision of tradesman and repaid workers as needed.
- Communicate regularly and resolve problems with appropriate officers and alumnae.
- Attend all meetings for house directors as requested by the University or Greek Life.
- Be aware of the moral conduct of the chapter and foster respect for university rules, traditions, the chapter House Rules and Regulations and Code of Conduct.
- Cooperate with Corporation Board, Advisory Board, the house manager, alumnae and the University administration.
- Keep up-to-date information files and records on keys, furnishings/appliances, general maintenance, residents, employees, vendors, security system, etc.
- Secure satisfactory substitute approved by the Corporation Board if away from the house overnight.
- Conduct general administration of house management, including general maintenance, incidents, key distribution, fire safety, life safety/security.
- Provide counsel and assistance to membership.
- Attend Chapter social affairs and assist with recruitment activities as requested.
- Weekly communication with the Housing Corporation Board
- High school Diploma or GED equivalent required; Bachelor’s degree recommended
- Previous house director, property management, residence life, Greek-lettered organization or other group living preferred
- Goal and team oriented, able to work closely with people while exhibiting a positive attitude
- Well organized and able to work and make sound decisions under pressure and within tight deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to perform basic functions of Email, Microsoft Word and Excel and scanning PDF files
- Basic bookkeeping
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work with college-age woman; patience, flexibility and a sense of humor
- Ability to climb up and down several flights of stairs
- Must pass criminal background check
Supervisory Responsibilities: House Chef, Assistant House Chef, Housekeeper, Kitchen Assistant(s), Dishwasher, if applicable
On-premise private apartment residence and meals are provided. Compensation is commensurate with experience. Please submit cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.