Under general supervision the House Director exercises discretion and independent judgement in the day to day operations of managing a sorority house which includes managing vendors. The House Director is responsible for overseeing remodeling projects as well as obtain bids from contractors for remodeling contractors.
- Ensures a safe and productive environment for collegians and staff.
- Responds appropriately during all emergency situations by contacting appropriate parties.
- Creates a strategy for the long-term care and upkeep of the facility for the House Corporation Board or FMC/ LLC Specialist.
- Communicates house maintenance issues to the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist and coordinates all routine maintenance issues in a timely manner. Manages all minor repairs within agreed amount in a timely manner. Notifies House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist of major repairs that exceed agreed amount with estimates that need to be done. Reports immediately to the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist all hazards and damages that require insurance claims.
- Stays within the given budget for ad hoc expenses; reconciles receipts and purchase orders; reviews and submits for payment through appropriate party.
- Obtain bids from contractors for remodeling projects or non-emergency maintenance work that is need.
- Purchases kitchen, cleaning and other necessary supplies while maintaining inventory.
- Manage collegian relations and coordinate request for repairs and maintenance.
- Collaborates with the Chef and the collegians to plan nutritious meals within the budget.
- Manages multiple preferred service providers to resolve issues while staying within budget.
- Remains with all visitors at all times including service providers.
- Keeps the House Corporation or FMC/LLC Specialist informed of any inspection by insurance adjusters, fire department, government agencies, or others concerned with the maintenance, security, and safety of the House.
- Assists the Director of House Management with the required fire drills and other required inspections; specifically seeking out any damage to the House.
- Meets and communicates regularly any unusual trends, activities and/or problems with the Chapter to the Chapter Advisor (ATC).
- Meets regularly with the House Manager and attends any meetings with Chapter members and/or boards as necessary.
- Must reside in the Chapter House each night the residents are in residence.
- Adheres to University, House Corporation Board, Office of Housing and Chapter policies and rules.
- Secures staff substitutes as needed.
- Arranges for meals as needed.
- Serves as the official hostess, as requested, for the Chapter social events, such as recruitment.
- Opens and closes the House before and after each break in conjunction with the University academic schedule.
- The House Director may be required to check on the House periodically during House closures.
- All other duties as assigned.
Experience Previous house director or property management experience preferred.
Education High school diploma or equivalent.
Technical experience Must be able to utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, email and scanning.
Travel Minimal local travel.
Lifting requirements Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds.
Occasionally 25% - 50%
Frequently 50% - 75%
Continually 75% - 100%
Standing Continually Walking Continually Bending Occasionally Stooping Occasionally Crouching Rarely Kneeling Rarely Crouching Occasionally Climbing stairs Occasionaly
The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
Competencies - key performance indicators to be successful in this position include:
- Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
- Customer Focus: Meets the expectations and requirements of the residents and staff.
- Interpersonal Skills: Relates well to others and builds rapport with residents, guests and vendors.
- Understanding/Directing Others: Provides clear direction to staff and vendors on expectations.