University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
Date the position begins: January 2018
The House Director serves as the on-site manager for Zeta Tau Alpha at the University of Iowa and is responsible for assisting with the development and well-being of residents residing in the house. The House Director resides in an apartment suite in the house and participates in the planning of chapter house activities, operations, and maintenance.
Room & Board Provided
Interested candidates are required to submit both a resume and cover letter. You may also provide any questions you may have about the position. Candidates will not be reviewed without a cover letter.
Responsibilities of the House Director include, but are not limited to:
- Holds weekly touch base meetings with the House Manager and the Chef to assist in management of the kitchen and coordination of chapter requests.
- Works with House Manager to maintain a well organized and orderly kitchen, weekend kitchenette, and pantry storage area.
- Orders some kitchen and cleaning supplies/materials and other necessary supplies and works with the House Manager to maintain their storage
- Conducts daily inspections of the chapter house to identify items in need of repair and ensure house rules are being observed
- Performs small house maintenance tasks (i.e. – watering plants, sorting mail, etc.)
- Works with house corporation to strategize for the long-term care and upkeep of the facility
- Ensures a safe and productive environment for residents, including overseeing the fob/keyless entry system and security system.
- Observes House Corporation Board policies and procedures
- Oversees multiple service providers
- Coordinates routine and emergency maintenance. Communicates with House Corporation on required maintenance and obtains quotes when necessary.
- Keeps advisors informed of any unusual trends and/or problems within the chapter
- Adheres to campus, Fraternity, house corporation and chapter policies and rules
- Encourage proper social graces and etiquette among members
- Creates a “home away from home” atmosphere within the chapter house
- Provides reports as requested at house corporation meetings
- Attend meetings of the house residence when invited.
- Attends chapter events as invited and serves as the official hostess for the chapter at social events held at the chapter house
The House Director must be professional, have good organizational, communication, and basic computer skills. She must exercise good judgment and facilitate adherence to all rules and regulations as they apply to the Zeta Tau Alpha house. Applicant must possess:
- Positive, solution-focused attitude
- Ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with students, parents, alumnae, service providers, campus representatives and community resources
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work with college-age women, patience, flexibility and a sense of humor
Applicants must be physically active and able to perform normal activities such as climbing stairs, lifting, and bending. The house director will receive a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include: a private, live-in apartment with living space, bedroom, private bath. The House Director receives all University holidays. During the summer break, chapter members are not in residence and the House Director has limited responsibilities and extensive free time for personal activities. The House Director is employed for a 12-month contractual period and is required to reside onsite during all nights when chapter members are in residence.
**This is a smoke and alcohol-free environment.
Applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three professional references to:
Previous House Director Experience Preferred: 1 year