The House Director serves as the onsite manager for Zeta Tau Alpha at Indiana University and is responsible for assisting with the development, safety and well-being of 108 residents in the house. The House Director resides in an apartment suite on a separate floor in the house and participates in the planning of chapter house activities, operations, and maintenance. Room and board are provided during the school year.
Interested candidates are required to submit both a resume and cover letter. You may also include any questions you may have about the position. Candidates will not be reviewed without a cover letter.
Responsibilities of the House Director include, but are not limited to:
- Oversight of the opening and closing of the Chapter House prior to and at the end of each semester
- Supervision of housekeeping staff and contractors
- Use of judgment and discretion in the management of Chapter operations consistent with the best interest of the chapter
- Planning and coordination of meal services with the food service provider, and budgeting and purchasing related to other food service
- Supervision of the maintenance of the chapter house and the grounds, including any employees or contracted related to the same
- Purchase kitchen, cleaning, and other supplies
- Follow all applicable laws in oversight and supervision of the chapter employees and contractors
- Expend budgeted funds made available to her in accordance with the chapter budget.
- Meet regularly with the House Manager and the Chef to assist in management of the kitchen and coordination of chapter requests.
- Conduct daily inspections of the chapter house to identify items in need of repair and ensure house rules are being observed
- Perform small house maintenance tasks (i.e. watering plants, sorting mail, etc.)
- Works with International Office and the Local House Corporation to strategize for the long-term care and upkeep of the facility
- Ensure a safe and productive environment for residents
- Coordinate routine and emergency maintenance. Works closely with the house corporation on required maintenance and obtains quotes when necessary
- Keep National Officers and advisors informed of any unusual trends and/or problems within the chapter
- Adhere to campus, Zeta Tau Alpha Fraternity, house corporation and chapter policies and rules
- Encourage proper social graces and etiquette among members
- Create a “home away from home” atmosphere within the chapter house
- Provide reports as requested
- Attend chapter events as invited and serve as the official hostess for the chapter at social events held at the chapter house
The House Director must be professional and have good organizational and communication skills. She must exercise good judgement and adhere to all rules and regulations as they apply to the Zeta Tau Alpha house. Applicant must possess:
- Positive, solution-focused attitude
- Ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with students, parents, alumnae, service providers, campus representatives, and community resources
- Basic bookkeeping skills
- Understanding of basic technology functions including Microsoft Word and Excel, and the ability to scan documents
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work with collegiate women, patience, flexibility, and a sense of humor
- Ability and willingness to maintain confidential information
- Capability to perform typical activities such as climbing up to three flights of stairs, lifting, and bending
- Possess a valid driver’s license
The House Director will receive a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Benefits include: a private, furnished live-in apartment with office/living space, bedroom, and private bath, meals when collegians are in the house, cable TV, landline phone, Internet connection, a designated parking space, and all University holidays. Health insurance is available. The House Director is eligible for paid vacation and sick days. During the summer break, the chapter house closes, and the House Director will have limited responsibilities and extensive free time for personal activities. The House Director is employed for a 10-month contractual period and is required to reside onsite during all nights when chapter members are in residence.
**This is a smoke, animal, drug, and alcohol-free environment.
Applicants should send cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
- Previous experience working with college-age students: 1 year
- Previous House Director Experience Preferred: 1 year