The House Director is responsible for the overall operations of the House; including but not limited to the day-to-day maintenance, cleanliness, food service and safety of the House. The House Director consults with the House Corporation or FMC/LLC Specialist and with members of the House Corporation Board (HCB) or FMC/LLC Specialist for guidance and assistance in executing the duties.
• Ensures a safe and productive environment for collegians and staff.
• Responds appropriately during all emergency situations by contacting appropriate parties.
• Creates a strategy for the long-term care and upkeep of the facility for the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist.
• Communicates house maintenance issues to the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist and coordinates all routine maintenance issues in a timely manner. Manages all minor repairs within agreed amount in a timely manner. Notifies House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist of major repairs that exceed
agreed amount with estimates that need to be done. Reports immediately to the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist all hazards and damages that require insurance claims.
• Stays within the given budget for ad hoc expenses; reconciles receipts and purchase orders; reviews and submits for payment through appropriate party.
• Purchases kitchen, cleaning and other necessary supplies while maintaining inventory.
• Recruits, interviews, conducts staff performance evaluations/discipline warnings and supervises staff with input from the Employment Committee Chair/FMC/LLC Specialist and Human Resources Business Partner (if on
• Processes new hire paperwork, schedules staff and submits timesheets in a timely manner.
• Collaborates with the Chef and the collegians to plan nutritious meals within the budget.
• Manages multiple preferred service providers to resolve issues while staying within budget.
• Remains with all visitors at all times including service providers.
• Keeps the House Corporation or FMC/LLC Specialist informed of any inspection by insurance adjusters, fire department, government agencies, or others concerned with the maintenance, security, and safety of the House.
• Assists the Director of House Management with the required fire drills and other required inspections; specifically
seeking out any damage to the House.
• Meets and communicates regularly any unusual trends, activities and/or problems with the Chapter to the Chapter Advisor (ATC).
• Meets regularly with the House Manager and attends any meetings with Chapter members and/or boards as necessary.
• Must reside in the Chapter House each night the residents are in residence.
• Adheres to University, House Corporation Board, Office of Housing and Chapter policies and rules.
• Secures staff substitutes as needed.
• Fills in for the Chef as needed if not with a vendor.
• Serves as the official hostess, as requested, for the Chapter social events, such as recruitment.
• Opens and closes the House before and after each break in conjunction with the University academic schedule.
• The House Director may be required to check on the House periodically during House closures.
• All other duties as assigned.
Experience: Previous house director or property management experience preferred.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent.
Technical experience: Must be able to utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, email and scanning.
Travel: Minimal local travel.
Lifting requirements: Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds.
Climbing stairs Occasionaly
The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions and procedures.
Competencies - key performance indicators to be successful in this position include:
• Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
• Customer Focus: Meets the expectations and requirements of the residents and staff.
• Interpersonal Skills: Relates well to others and builds rapport with residents, guests and vendors.
• Understanding/Directing Others: Provides clear direction to staff and vendors on expectations.