The House Director is responsible for the overall operations of the House; including but not limited to the day-to-day maintenance, cleanliness, food service and safety of the House. The House Director consults with the House Corporation or FMC/LLC Specialist and with members of the House Corporation Board (HCB) or FMC/LLC Specialist for guidance and assistance in executing the duties.
• Ensures a safe and productive environment for collegians and staff.
• Responds appropriately during all emergency situations by contacting appropriate parties.
• Creates a strategy for the long-term care and upkeep of the facility for the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist.
• Communicates house maintenance issues to the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist and coordinates all routine maintenance issues in a timely manner. Manages all minor repairs within agreed amount in a timely manner. Notifies House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist of major repairs that exceed
agreed amount with estimates that need to be done. Reports immediately to the House Corporation Board or FMC/LLC Specialist all hazards and damages that require insurance claims.
• Stays within the given budget for ad hoc expenses; reconciles receipts and purchase orders; reviews and submits for payment through appropriate party.
• Purchases kitchen, cleaning and other necessary supplies while maintaining inventory.
• Recruits, interviews, conducts staff performance evaluations/discipline warnings and supervises staff with input from the Employment Committee Chair/FMC/LLC Specialist and Human Resources Business Partner (if on
• Processes new hire paperwork, schedules staff and submits timesheets in a timely manner.
• Collaborates with the Chef and the collegians to plan nutritious meals within the budget.
• Manages multiple preferred service providers to resolve issues while staying within budget.
• Remains with all visitors at all times including service providers.
• Keeps the House Corporation or FMC/LLC Specialist informed of any inspection by insurance adjusters, fire department, government agencies, or others concerned with the maintenance, security, and safety of the House.
• Assists the Director of House Management with the required fire drills and other required inspections; specifically
seeking out any damage to the House.
• Meets and communicates regularly any unusual trends, activities and/or problems with the Chapter to the Chapter Advisor (ATC).
• Meets regularly with the House Manager and attends any meetings with Chapter members and/or boards as necessary.
• Must reside in the Chapter House each night the residents are in residence.
• Adheres to University, House Corporation Board, Office of Housing and Chapter policies and rules.
• Secures staff substitutes as needed.
• Fills in for the Chef as needed if not with a vendor.
• Serves as the official hostess, as requested, for the Chapter social events, such as recruitment.
• Opens and closes the House before and after each break in conjunction with the University academic schedule.
• The House Director may be required to check on the House periodically during House closures.
• All other duties as assigned.
Experience Previous house director or property management experience preferred.
Education High school diploma or equivalent.
Technical experience Must be able to utilize Microsoft Word, Excel, email and scanning.
Travel Minimal local travel.
Lifting requirements Must be able to lift a minimum of 25 pounds.
Climbing stairs Occasionaly
The position requires manual dexterity; auditory and visual skills; and the ability to follow written and oral instructions
Competencies - key performance indicators to be successful in this position include:
• Decision Quality: Makes good decisions based on analysis, experience, and judgment.
• Customer Focus: Meets the expectations and requirements of the residents and staff.
• Interpersonal Skills: Relates well to others and builds rapport with residents, guests and vendors.
• Understanding/Directing Others: Provides clear direction to staff and vendors on expectations.