It is the mission of Alpha Delta Pi Housing to build relationships within the setting of each safe and secure ADPi facility. This often begins with the house director and extends throughout the chapter facility to members, staff, volunteers, and visitors.
The role played by a house director ranges from operations manager to hostess, friend, and confidant. She significantly impacts a sorority chapter’s living environment and contributes to the development of the chapter members. Due to the significant role this position plays, the house director should have a working knowledge of the attitudes and trends currently influencing campus life and the typical college student in order to best assimilate with the chapter members. The house director should always portray herself as a positive role model, be approachable and cooperative, be comfortable working closely with collegiate women, alumnae volunteers, staff, and vendors and contractors, and understand the need for discretion and maintaining confidentiality.
The House Director for an Alpha Delta Pi Sorority facility meets the following essential criteria:
- Individual is female
- Able to meet physical requirements of the position daily without difficulty
- Has previous house director or Greek Life experience
- Has basic computer and budgeting skills
- Ability to use Microsoft Word, Excel, email, texting, scanning and copying
- Ability to reside in chapter facility and follow facility rules & policies
- Smoke free
- No pets
- Adherence to Alpha Delta Pi Sorority, House Corporation, and University regulations and policies
- Possess a strong work ethic, communication skills, and organizational skills
- Must pass criminal background check
- Adherence to the job duties as outlined by the house corporation and notated in the House Director Job Duties document (see attached)
It is also preferred that a House Director have the following:
- Ability to travel as necessary for training/chapter events
- Technical skills: document scanning, record keeping, alarm system monitoring
- College Education preferred with a minimum requirement of having a High School diploma
Job Status: Full time exempt
Salary and benefits: Competitive salary commensurate with experience.
Residential Benefits: Private apartment and bathroom, meal plan, utilities included, wireless internet, cable, & cell phone stipend and parking space at facility.
Non-Discrimination Policy: We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law
The duties of a house director can vary greatly depending on the size of facility, number or residents, and number of managed employees. Some of the most common duties are as follows:
- Supervise the activities of any household employees and report any difficulties/problems of such employees directly to the Corporation.
- Supervise the cook and the operation of the kitchen.
- Supervise the cleaning staff / contractor for the house.
- Hiring or contracting with cook and cleaning crew.
- Oversee day-to-day activities at the house, including coordinating and communicating effectively with vendors, staff, etc.
- Sort daily mail, packages, deliveries, etc. for the facility, residents, and House Corporation.
- Order and supervise any food service deliveries to the house.
- Organize menu plans with the assistance of kitchen staff and chapter members.
- Submit any meal plans to food servers.
- Order any goods or household
- Maintain real property inventory of facility and kitchen in partnership with applicable chapter officer.
- Keep an accurate record of dining room and household expenditures;
- Endeavor to stay within the budget set by the corporation.
- Responds to emergencies as needed.