THETA THETA HOUSE CORPORATION OF KAPPA DELTA SORORITY
HOUSE DIRECTOR JOB DESCRIPTION
CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt, Part Time- 20 hours per week
REPORTS TO: Theta Theta House Corporation of Kappa Delta Sorority
The primary duty of the House Director is to oversee the day-to-day operations of the physical premises of the Chapter House. Because the House Corporation Board does not have a daily on-site presence, the House Director is expected to utilize appropriate levels of independent judgment and discretion in the execution of her job duties.
- ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
In addition to the tasks discussed below, which are not meant to be an exhaustive list, the House Director must read, understand and follow all guidelines set forth in by the House Corporation, and any guidelines published by the University.
A. PERSONNEL SUPERVISION AND CONTRACTOR OVERSIGHT
- House Director does not hire or supervise any employees.
- House Director does not solicit bids or negotiate contract terms for subcontractors.
B. OPENING AND CLOSING PROCEDURES
- Be present for the opening and closing of the House. This includes the giving out of keys, collecting keys and room inspection for a possible deposit refund. A copy of the report will be given to the House Corporation.
- Provide schedules of the opening and closing of the house at vacation periods. Plan to be there long enough before hand to have the house ready to start functioning smoothly.
- HOSTESS DUTIES
- Accept responsibility for the general condition of the house at all times, for such things as cleanliness, order, and all minor details that make up a well managed home. It is not expected that you do the work yourself, but direct the proper person or persons in executing your orders.
- While not expected to spend every minute of the every day at the chapter house, you are required to be there overnight unless a substitute has been obtained.
D. MEMBER COMMUNICATION
- Make effort to know all members who live in the facility by name.
- Maintain an accurate floor plan with current occupants’ names.
- Counsel and aid in the solution of any Chapter problems when requested to do so by Chapter Officers.
- See that all members in the house understand and abide by local chapter house rules, National Kappa Delta house rules and rules and regulations of the University of Rhode Island.
- Obtain a list of the meeting/activities the House Director is expected to attend for the Chapter, House Corporation Board, Chapter Advisory Board and other alumnae activities.
- Maintain communication with University of Rhode Island when appropriate.
- Attend University House Directors Meetings.
- Keep in confidence any conversations within the Kappa Delta house.
- Inspect grounds, facilities, and equipment routinely to determine necessity of repairs or maintenance.
- Make recommendations regarding the general maintenance of the house to the House Corporation. This includes any suggestions regarding equipment, furniture, etc.
- Oversee Maintenance work at chapter house; be present to let workers in and guide them to locations where work is needed. Notify members when there is to be men contractors in the house.
- Be certain the chapter has practiced emergency evacuations required by Fire Code.
- Be alert for hazards.
- Keep a file of all repair invoices and list of vendors used. Coordinate regular maintenance activities with the designated House Corporation Board member
- Manage maintenance requests from the Chapter and coordinate repairs and services to maintain high standards.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Strong communication skills; able to effectively and professionally communicate with the Corporation, Chapter Members, parents, alumnae, employees, contractors, community resources and University staff in a clear and concise manner whether by telephone, email, text, or in person.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent planning and time management skills.
- Ability to utilize expense tracking software.
- Knowledge and experience to use Microsoft programs, such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Knowledge of home maintenance and repairs.
- Negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Positive attitude; able to maintain composure and patience during stressful or emergency situations.
- Problem solving: Ability to quickly identify problems, develop and timely implement solutions.
- Attention to detail: Ability to recognize home maintenance and repair issues, and coordinate service.
- Able to build trust and respect with Chapter Members.
- Ability to walk up and down stairs multiple times a day.
- Experience working professionally in a related field.
- Experience working with college aged women in an educational or other professional setting.
- Any other combination of skills, abilities and experience that demonstrate the requisite skills and abilities for the job.
- Eligible to work in the United States.
- Passage of a criminal background and reference check.
- Beautiful house on the University of Rhode Island’s campus that houses 41 women
- Located at 11 Fraternity Circle, Kingston, RI
- The house director has a free private apartment and free meals at the house during the academic year
- Part time position (up to 20 hours per week), so the house director is welcome to have another part-time job, be a student, etc.
- No previous experience with Greek Life or as a house director needed.
- If you're interested in applying, please contact Claire Stuckel at Claire.Stuckel@kappadelta.org